This is a summary of the conference I delivered for Católicos por Convicción regarding Feng Shui and its opposition to Christian beliefs. If you understand Spanish, you can watch the whole conference in the following video:
Feng Shui means “wind and water”. It is a Chinese belief based on the philosophy of constant change and trigrams are related to different aspects of life.
- Feng shui originated as a way to find the best place to bury the dead.
- It is now applied to houses for prosperity and is based on the ichin philosophy.
Feng Shui philosophy contradicts Christian beliefs
- Feng Shui is based on the concept of yin yang, which is opposite and complementary forces, but this contradicts the Bible’s teachings.
- The Bible tells us that evil has already been defeated, and the forces of good and evil are not in perfect balance.
Feng Shui is based on pantheistic beliefs and should be rejected by Christians.
- Feng Shui uses the five celestial animals to symbolize forces of nature.
- The placement of objects is believed to balance these forces, but it is not scientifically proven.
We must not engage in divination or practices that use elements to forecast the future.
- God hates such practices and warns us against them in Deuteronomy and Jeremiah.
- The Bible prohibits divination and sorcery, which includes the use of plants, stones, amulets, and idols to change the natural course of things.
Feng Shui is not an innocent practice and leads to idolatry and deception.
- Feng Shui is forbidden by God and directly disobeys His will.
- Feng Shui uses amulets and objects that are use as idols.
- Feng Shui sometimes uses invocations and prayers for entities that are not God.
- Introduction of Feng Shui exacerbates paranormal activity and diverts from faith in God.
Avoid relying on occult practices and seek God’s will instead
- Neglecting Catholic formation can lead to falling into superstitious beliefs
- Quick and easy solutions through esoteric practices show distrust in God
- Thorough confession and renunciation of such practices is important
- Daily Rosary is an effective way to eliminate satanic influences
- External signs of devotion should not be carried as amulets
Contemplative prayer is about meditating on the mysteries, not just repeating words.
- External signs of devotion to Mary are meant to help, not be an amulet.
- New Age practices can lead to idolatry and deviation from true devotion to God.
The catholic way for the dead ancestries is offer suffrages for the soul of the deceased, not the Buddhism way.